This section explores specific construction and restoration projects throughout Scotland. The videos, dating as far back as 1929, feature traditional processes and skills involved in reinstating and erecting buildings.
Construction of the seawall at Saltcoats in Ayrshire. The wall serves two purposes, to help make Saltcoats more attractive to visitors and also keep the water out.
Construction of the Ritz Cinema, Edinburgh
Construction of the Ritz cinema in Edinburgh in around 1929, from virgin site to opening day. The new projection facilities are shown and the cinema staff introduce themselves.
Wealth of a Nation
This is one of seven documentaries made for screening at the 1938 Empire Exhibition. The film compares and contrasts Scotland's old and new industries.
The House that John Built
Two men building a house from new in 1954, including laying the foundations and bricklaying.
Construction of Oswald Street Bridge
Construction of the King George V Bridge on Oswald Street, Glasgow. This was one of the first bridges to be built of reinforced concrete in Britain in 1926.
Church Hut, Tayport
The conversion of the Battery Factory canteen into Tayport's Sunday school in 1954.
Construction of Bells Sports Centre
Construction of Bells Sports Centre, Perth in 1966. It concentrates on the erection of the domed structure and the logistics of transporting materials.
The building and opening of the Church of Scotland in Carrick Knowe in 1953.
The rebuilding of the monastic buildings at Iona Abbey between 1938 and 1959.
Remembering the Second World War
The construction of the Second World War memorial in Dunfermline in 1953.
Stonemasons at work and a completed building in Dundee, 1982.
Old and New 1948
The reworking of the Belhaven cafe in Wishaw Lanarkshire, between 1948 and 1955. The film captures tradesman at work, masons, joiners and glaziers, the Cocozza family and the interest of passers-by.
Restoration of the Church of Holy Rude
Restoration of the church of the Holy Rude in Stirling, and Queen Mary’s visit in 1936.
Leaded lights being made in 1936.
Luichart and Meig; Gammies at Norwood
The construction of Meig Dam and Luichart Power Station in about 1951.